A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words


Saturday, October 18, 2008

AUSTRALIA

Australian Vogue Living (nov-dec 2008) published an article about the iconic homestead created for the Baz Luhrmann's film Australia by production and costume designer Academy Award winner Catherine Martin.















In the movie we will see great selection of Australian antique furniture, paintings, ceramics... sourced from antique shops around Australia ( you would not believe I had an eye for a yellow oil lamp from Estelle's Antiques and Collectables in Paddington Brisbane, now in their home in Sydney).












Australia is the story of Lady Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman), an English, aristocratic woman who leaves England to follow her husband to Australia. He is in Australia with the intention of selling his cattle station the size of Belgium. However, Lady Ashley believes he is having an affair and travels out there to confront him. The property is in the north of Australia, and she embarks on an African Queen type journey, accompanied by a rough, cattle drover (Hugh Jackman). Ultimately, Lady Ashley finds herself inheriting the cattle station and, in order to save it, she and the drover must undertake an epic cattle drive to Darwin. In the course of that journey, she falls in love with the drover, and the Australian landscape, and realises that her life is not over, and there’s always a new life to be had. The title Australia is intended to sum up the story of her life - her journey, the landscape, and the people she meets - all of which transform her life forever.


















ReleaseDates
13.11.08 AUSTRALIA
14.11.08 USA
10.12.08 SWITZERLAND
18.12.08 HOLLAND ISRAEL
19.12.08 ITALY
24.12.08 BAHRAIN BELGIUM EGYPT FRANCE JORDAN OMAN
25.12.08 BOLIVIA BRAZIL CEN. AMERICA COLOMBIA CROATIA CZECH/SLOVAKIA DENMARK ECUADOR GERMANY GREECE HONG KONG HUNGARY JAMAICA KUWAIT LEBANON MALAYSIA MEXICO PERU PORTUGAL PUERTO RICO QATAR SINGAPORE SLOVENIA STH KOREA SWEDEN TAIWAN THAILAND TRINIDAD UNTD ARB EMIRATES VENEZUELA
26.12.09 AUSTRIA BULGARIA ESTONIA FINLAND ICELAND INDIA LATVIA LITHUANIA NEW ZEALAND NORWAY POLAND ROMANIA STH AFRICA SPAIN TURKEY UNITED KINGDOM
31.12.09 INDONESIA
01.01.09 ARGENTINA RUSSIA UKRAINE URUGUAY
08.01.09 CHILE SERBIA/MONT
28.1.09 PHILIPPINES
05.02.09 D. REUPBLIC
28.02.09 JAPAN
Last year while working with design company in Brisbane we furnished removable houses for cast and crew of this movie. I know it is nothing but I still feel excited to be "a smallest part" of of this epic, which will re-introduce Australia as the ‘must visit’ destination for travellers around the world.

13 comments:

Chubby Chieque said...

We'll watch this movie soon. I got a free ticks from a friend who work at the theater.

How I miss OZ... I left my heart in OZ actually.

Love downunder!!!

Heidi said...

I can't wait!!!! I am so in love with Australia, my husband says I'm obsessed. Maybe I am but there is something inside of me driving me to be there and move my family there as well. We are trying to plan trip next year. Thanks for all that you share on your blog. This has inspired me to perhaps do a post on the movie as well. Thanks,Heidi

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

i love Nicole Kidman, she looks so elegant in that picture, can't wait for the movie!!!

Brown Button Trading said...

Oh I'm so excited about this movie coming out - I have loved all of the movies Baz has made and i'm sure this isn't going to be any exception. And the design work catherine martin has done? - well from the looks of the magazine feature it is going to be di-vine!! yay! x

vicki archer said...

I cant wait to see Australia - how fantastic to have worked on it in any capacity.

Brilliant Asylum said...

I was thinking I would skip this epic, but now I feel I must see it. Thanks for the info and pretty photos.

Oliveaux said...

Can't wait to see it. How fabulous to have been involved! Amanda x

Liz Kraft said...

Hi Viera,
I loved your latest blog entry. Can't wait to see the movie!!! We do hope to make it back to Oz next "Spring".

And thanks for the post card (sent by Monika). :-)
Hugs,
Liz & Co.

Porchlight Interiors said...

How exciting that you were a part of this movie! Looks fabulous - can't wait to see it! Tracey x

Viera said...

Thank you for such a great response.
I am sure we will not be disappointed.

hayseed said...

I wasn't going to see it either, but you've tickled my curiosity and it will probably be gorgeously filmed, so now I will!

Millie said...

Thanks for your great introduction to the movie Viera! I'm not normally a Nicole fan, but will definitely go with an open mind. Got trapped on a plane with that terrible remake of Bewitched, so maybe she can redeem herself!
Millie ^_^

Alkemie said...

I love the riding outfit Nicole Kidman has on!

Karen :)