A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words


Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"Rooms to Stop the Young from Straying"

THEIR OWN SPACE The Goldrings, a family in Pacific Palisades, Calif., created an indoor-outdoor cabana-style pool house for their two teenage daughters and their daughters’ friends with daybeds for sleepovers, a bath and shower, and a roof deck.

For past couple of months I and my husband have been discussing what we can do to create a space for our teenage kids where they can entertain. It went so far that we even considered building a new house.
I've found interesting article in NY Times by author Kimberly Stevens where she interviewed Julia Buckingham(one of my favourite designers)
Julia Buckingham Edelmann, a Chicago interior designer, said that over the last few years she has seen a large increase in clients who want to decorate and design spaces for their teenage children, and a concurrent decline in interest in the multipurpose great room. “There are dedicated spaces for everything” these days, she said — the home gym, the home spa — “so it makes sense that there is the teen space.”

In her observation"kids now enjoy entertaining like their parents"











We love when our son's friends come over to have a game of tennis and barbecue afterwards or Laura's friends doing their girly stuff.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you need to dedicate a whole new area for your wonderful children. i think you should pamper them, especially your daughter laura she sounds adorable.
i love your designing viera. xo

Viera said...

dear anonymous
I sincerely wish you are NOT anonymous

Anonymous said...

I don’t think you should move house, unless it’s somewhere else in the gap! I believe that having an area for the teens is a fantastic idea. I feel that my house lacks the area/ room to entertain even a few people which really discourages me from inviting my friends over even for a simple BBQ. Greg and Laura are very lucky to have such wonderful caring parents!